Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Devoted


I am devoted to 'the Lady' and have been from a very early age and my attention is unwavering.  Although her form has changed as I have changed, the Lady as I see her in relation to traditional witchcraft has no man-inspired name or agreed upon garb. She does not fit into any given pantheon nor does she emerge from some convenient mold of tribe or continent.

She birthed me, sustains me through the elements and will receive my remains when I die.  I ask no more of her than this.  She is the nimbleness of my hands as they work her arte and the strength I draw on when I sit at the bedside of an ill or dying person.  She is the raw understanding of the reality of life that I receive through her tutelage as a witch and as a confidant to the Unseen Company.

Underneath all of the images that make the unknowable easier to comprehend is the inescapable current of life, death and rebirth.  She has taught me this through my life's experience.  I drink from the stream that is nature's grail and my nourishment.  I have come to admire her rhythm  for what she is, has always been and will continue to be long after my walk upon the landscape of her robe has ceased in its present form.  

Although both male and female in the procreation of life I sense this form of the goddess as formless motherhood; a mother who feeds, sustains, guides and receives; a mother with teeth.

No comments: