Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Hekate Symbols & Dates


Origin:
According to tradition, Hekate is said to be of ancient Thracian decent.  She bestows with her wisdom and farsighted talents  victory, prosperity, wisdom, and guardianship over sailors, hunters, farmers and herders.  Goddess of magic, witchcraft, the night, sickle moon, wraiths and necromancy. The only child of the Titanes Perses and Asteria from whom she received her power over heaven, earth, and sea.

I am a key-bearer.  I did not come to Hekate on my own, she found me as is the custom of this chthonic dweller and Guardian of the Gate.  She has lead me to become a death-midwife. I am not alone in this apprenticeship; there are others I have met who do this work quietly in her name.

All honor and devotion when caring for the dead are hers.

Given that she is one of the more arcane goddesses, I hope to share more information concerning her in future posts.

Hekate Symbols:

Keys, torches, knife, rope, the crossroads, poisonous herbs especially aconite.

Hekate Animal Association:

Canines, ravens, owls, crows, toads, snakes


Hekate Offerings:

Eggs, cakes, honey, pomegranate, fish, figs, red millet, myrrh, camphor, willow, yew, hazel


Hekate Honoring Times:

Hecatesia: August 13, November 30

Deipnon- 29th each month  

Dark moon. or sickle moon


Orphic Hymn To Hekate

 "I invoke you, beloved Hekate of the Crossroads and the Three Ways

Saffron-cloaked Goddess of the Heavens, the Underworld and the Sea

Tomb-frequenter, mystery-raving with the souls of the dead

Daughter of Perses, Lover of the Wilderness who exults among the deer

Nightgoing One, Protectress of dogs, Unconquerable Queen

Beast-roarer, Dishevelled One of compelling countenance

Tauropolos, Keyholding Mistress of the whole world

Ruler, Nymph, Mountain-wandering Nurturer of youth.

Maiden, I beg you to be present at these sacred rites

Ever with a gladsome heart and ever gracious to the Oxherd."




No comments: